International House (IHouse)


Transportation is an important issue for many coming to campus.This page provides information and resources to better understand the transportation options and systems available to you and to connect you to resources to help you get around Duke, Durham and the Triangle region. You are welcome to contact International House with specific transportation questions.

Getting Around Without A Car

If you don't drive, or you won't have a car while you are here, do not be discouraged. It is fairly easy to get around without a car. It just takes some extra time and a bit of planning. There are lots of people living here without a car. Take a look at these transportation options.
Watch this short transportation video.

Fact Sheets

Duke Bus System

This system is FREE! Anywhere on campus where the bus stops you may get on and ride. Duke University provides ADA accessible free bus service to all Campuses and the Medical Center for students, employees, patients and visitors. The main lines are East-West (C-1) and East-West-Central (C-2). A third line is Central-East-Science Drive Weekdays (Route C-3).  There is also the LaSalle Bus Loop which stops near many of the apartment complexes right off of West Campus. 

Click here for more information on Duke bus routes and schedules.

Duke Vans

Duke Vans (919-684-2020) supplements Duke’s regular bus service and provides an alternative to walking home at night. Duke Vans provides Duke employees and students with no cost on-demand van service to campus areas, and certain off campus areas, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., daily, except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day. Also check out the LaSalle Loop bus which passes many of the apartment complexes off of West Campus and then drives past Kroger Food Store.  This bus runs every 30 minutes throughout the entire year Mondays-Fridays.

DO NOT WALK ALONE AT NIGHT!  Take Duke Vans. It is there for YOU!

Local Taxicabs

In addition to local taxi companies, Duke partnered with Charlene's Safe Ride, LLC to provide taxi service payable by the DukeCard (Flex account). Of course they will always take cash.

The Durham City Bus System (DATA)

DATA is the abbreviated name for the city of Durham bus system. The two city buses that stop at Duke University/Hospital are Bus #6 and Bus #11. You can now purchase DATA monthly passes or ticketbooks at Duke Parking and Transportation Services Office, 2010 Campus Drive or in the basement of Duke Clinics.

The Triangle Transit Authority (TTA)

The TTA is a regional bus system, travelling between Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh. If you need to go to RDU airport, the TTA bus can get you there. However allow at least one hour for travel time. If you need to go to NC State in Raleigh or UNC-Chapel Hill, you can take the TTA. You can pick up your FREE regional bus pass at Duke Parking and Transportation Office, 2010 Campus Drive, from 10am - 3pm Monday - Friday OR  next to the Medical Center Bookstore in the basement of Duke Clinics building, 7:30am - 3pm, Monday - Friday.

Enterprise Car Share

Enterprise Car Share is a car-sharing program. If you have a driver's license from back home, you can use that to become a member to share cars provided by Enterprise-Rent-A-Car. WeCar's are an excellent solution for people who only need a car once in awhile for a day trip or other shorter trips off campus. Rent by the hour or day, and pick your car up at several convenient campus locations.

Getting to SuperTarget

International House offers shopping trips to SuperTarget on the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of each month, September 2013 - April 2014. At SuperTarget, you can purchase food and household items.

Meet at International House, 300 Alexander Ave BEFORE 9:30 am. You will be dropped off at your dorm, apartment or house on the return trip home.

Getting to the DMV

International House provides trips to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in Durham roughly once a month. At the DMV, you can obtain a North Carolina State ID, a North Carolina Learner's Permit (the written part of the Driver's Exam) or a North Carolina Driver's License. If you are renewing your driver's license (from NC or another state), you MUST show proof of auto insurance in your name.

Email Lisa Giragosian for the next scheduled trip.

Important! To obtain the State ID or the Learner's Permit, you MUST bring the following items:

Getting to the Social Security Administration

I-House provides free transportation to the Social Security Administration offices. The trips take place weekly on Wednesdays, but please check first to verify the trip at 919-684-3585.

Because of possible delays in the system, you should NOT apply for a Social Security card until you have been in the US at least 10 days. Remember, if you have an F-1 visa, you MUST have a job on campus in order to be able to apply for a Social Security Number. 

Important! You must bring:

Purchasing a car

If you are considering purchasing a car, please think about how long you are going to be in Durham. If you are here for less than a year, consider leasing or renting a car, or signing up for a Enterprise Car Share. Visitors can drive with their home countrys driving license for 60 days.  Check out our Flowchart to determine whether or not you need to get a North Carolina drivers license.
If you are staying for more than a year and would like to buy a car, please be reminded:
You can buy a car without a Social Security Number
However, must have a North Carolina State ID or North Carolina drivers license (NCDL) to register the car that you purchase. Tags and Registration for Vehicles

Getting A Driver's License

Getting a Driver's License

To get a driver's license, you first need to pass a written exam (computer based) at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You'd better prepare for the exam. See the Driver's Handbook. Trying some practice test before hand would be very helpful. See a sample prep test.

After you pass the written exam (which is actually taken on a computer), you will get a learner's permit. With a Learner's Permit, you can practice driving under the guidance of an experienced driver. Finally, you need to take a road test if you want to get a full driver's license.  In order to take the road test, you need to bring a car to the DMV and have automobile insurance in your name.

When you pass the road test, you will be issued a driver's license. You need to show your ID, proof of residency, and proof of auto insurance.  If you do not own a car and just want to get a driver's license, you will need to get auto insurance. The Good news is, you can purchase a non-owner’s insurance policy for around $180 a month.  For more information on non-owner insurance, click here.

Renting And/Or Leasing A Vehicle

Here for One Year or Less? First Choice Leasing works with you to find a car you would feel comfortable leasing. Minimum lease of 6 months is required although one can inquire about a four month lease (semester long lease). Want to rent or lease a vehicle?

Driving Instruction

Want to Learn how to Drive?

If you would like to learn how to drive one day, Durham is an excellent place to learn how. Although driving lessons can be costly, we STRONGLY recommend lessons from a private company as opposed to learning from a friend. It is well worth the money. For information about driving lessons, there are several local driving schools: All Around Driving, Andes Driving School and Above Average Driving School. Take a look at our Driving Lessons fact sheet.

On-Campus Parking at Duke

You must purchase a parking permit if you plan to park at Duke each day.