- Head over to http://mail.duke.edu/
- Log in to Office365
- On the left navigation panel, "RIGHT Click" your name, then select "add shared folder"
- You will then be prompted to enter the address of the shared folder, Student Affairs ITS will provide you with this information when notifying your shared mailbox has been provisioned.
- You will then see it populate underneath your personal mailbox, if you have multiple folders currently expanded you may need to scroll down to see it.
- Once selected, the shared mailbox can be used to read/reply/ or compose messages in parallel with any others your department to avoid duplicate responses to the same emails.
- To take advantage of sending on behalf of the mailbox's address instead of your personal email address:
- Compose a new email, select the ellipsis as shown below, then select "Show From" a new field will now show up with your email address populated.
- Remove your address by right clicking it, then enter the address you used in step 4 that was provided to you by Student Affairs ITS, you can now send on behalf of the shared mailbox and reply's will go back to the box as well.
Note: Mailing lists are not synonymous with Shared Mailboxes. Mailing lists are used as a distribution method for communication between individuals where the original sender's identity is beneficial, much like a thread with multiple recipients
carbon copied. Shared Mailboxes are a repository for collaborative communication between a department and a target individual or population such as a email note to a large number of students. If you would like to discuss if a existing mailing list or could benefit from turning into a shared mailbox or the creation of either, contact Student Affairs ITS for consultation on your process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org