When Covid-19 presented us with the challenge of how to bring our programming to our students, the JLD team came up with JLD@Home to enable us to connect with our community no matter where they might be. See the offerings delivered via JLD@Home below:
As your Jewish Life at Duke family continues to strive to be your home away from home, even while we are not together on campus for the Spring and Summer 2020 terms, we are proud to introduce JLD@Home, where you'll find virtual programming and new opportunities for connection and healing. Click here
for a message from Jewish Life at Duke Director, Joyce Gordon. Be sure to install the Zoom app for easy access to JLD@Home activities. Read on for current event listings and Zoom links:
Fridays at 5:00 pm (EDT): Celebrate Shabbat with us all summer long! Join JLD's virtual Shabbat experience, including songs from our Shabbat Shira (song session), sharing each person’s “good thing of the week,” and engaging in Shabbat prayer and intentions for healing. A great way to enter Shabbat wherever you are.
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/409322418
Wednesdays at 1:00 pm (EDT): Join us through the summer for a Weekly Hang! Pop in to visit with JLD staff members to chat, play games or have discussions. Our staff members will rotate with a topic of conversation, structured activity, or just a chance to hang out. Topics range from podcast recommendations and bracketology to favorite movies and game time— with Rabbi Elana, Joyce, Ethan, Reuven!
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/104646281
Virtual Coffee Conversations
Mondays at 5:00 pm (EDT): JLD Book Club with Joyce! Join Joyce for the first selection of the JLD Book Club as we read Fly Already: Stories by Etgar Keret. Published in 2019, NPR calls this collection "Keret at his best - tender and inventive." Grab a copy at your local bookstore, through Kindle, on Audible, or borrow it online through your local library (the Libby app is great for this) and join us!
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/92247970316
And be sure to check-out programming from Hillel@Home, a wholly unique global online platform from Hillel International for students to learn and connect. Hillel@Home offers virtual ways to join discussions with world-renowned thought leaders and speakers, including Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, Obama administration speechwriter Sarah Hurwitz, Comedy Central executive Tara Schuster, six-time NBA All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire and many more.
Past JLD@Home Programs
The following virtual programs have passed, but we are open to your requests! Email firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have a program idea or would like to host a Daily Hang.
- Daily Hang—March 17: Rabbi Elana Friedman began our sessions by connecting and checking in with students.
- Daily Hang—March 18: JLD Director, Joyce Gordon chatted with students and traded favorite podcasts.
- Daily Hang—March 19: Ethan Helfand, Associate Director for Student Programming and Leadership, hosted a "bracketology" themed hangout session with students.
- Israel Update—March 19: Jewish Agency Israel Fellow Reuven Remez teamed up with Emory Hillel's Israel Fellow Michal Hartman to update students on and discuss the Israeli elections -- coalitions, multiple elections, and more.
- Daily Hang—March 23: Joyce shared some creative thinking about gifts during quarantine!
- Daily Hang—March 24: Game Time with Rabbi Elana.
- Daily Hang—March 25: Reuven talked all things movies.
- Daily Hang—March 26: Holy Shirtballs! "The Good Place" -- Ethan hosts a watch party and discussion.
- Daily Hang—March 30: Shakshuka 101 JLD joined Reuven in his kitchen for some Shakshuka instruction!
- Daily Hang—March 31: Rabbi Elana played Mafia and checked-in with students.
- Daily Hang—April 1: Craft Time with Joyce - Joyce shared her love of crafting with the Zoom crowd.
- Daily Hang—April 2: Yiddish far di zoomers - Ethan shared some Yiddish for the Zoom Generation!
- Daily Hang—April 6: A conversation with "Israel's Most Controversial Couple", Lucy Aharish and Tsahi Halevi. Aharish, Israel’s first Arab Muslim primetime news anchor, and Halevi, famed star of the Netflix series Fauda, discussed how they have worked to break barriers, promote pluralism and interdenominational openness in Israel’s public agenda.
- Daily Hang—April 7: Passover Prep with Rabbi Elana
- Passover Seder—April 8: Our JLD community joined Rabbi Elana at her dining room table for a virtual Passover Zeder (Zoom Seder).
- Passover Shabbat—April 10: Rabbi Elana and staff shared a special Passover Shabbat with our JLD community.
- Daily Hang—April 13: Ethan had fun playing trivia with JLD students.
- Daily Hang—April 14: Rabbi Elana played Mafia with JLD students.
- Daily Hang—April 15: JSU's Zoe Gezelter shared her amazing matzah toffee recipe with JLD.
- End of Passover Pizza Party—April 16: JLD enjoyed some pizza to mark the end of Passover.
- Coalition for Preserving Memory (CPM)—April 19/20: CPM hosted a 24-hour name reading ceremony for victims of genocide and mass atrocity via Facebook.
- Daily Hang—April 20: Reuven kicked off JLD's food themed Daily Hangs with an Israeli food discussion.
- Daily Hang—April 21: Rabbi Elana shared her amazing omelet expertise (and flip)!
- Daily Hang—April 22: Joyce shared how to make her delicious Eggplant Parmesan recipe!
- Daily Hang—April 23: Ethan demonstrated how to make the classic pasta dish, Cacio e Pepe and answered culinary and kitchen questions.
- Daily Hang—April 27: Reuven kicked off JLD's Study Break edition with Eretz/Ir -- Israeli Scattagories!
- Daily Hang—April 28: Rabbi Elana was ready to play Mafia.
- Daily Hang—April 29: Students joined Joyce for some Boggle.
- Daily Hang—April 30: Ethan ended Study Break week with Codenames.
- Daily Hang—May 4: Eretz/Ir -- Israeli Scattagories with Reuven.
- Daily Hang—May 5: Rabbi Elana played Mafia with JLD students.
- Daily Hang—May 6: Joyce takes a walk during this Daily Hang.
- Daily Hang—May 7: Presentation: Handling the Stress of Sheltering-in-Place, with Dr. Carolyn Rubenstein T'07
- Havdallah 2020—May 9: Graduation Havdallah to honor our Class of 2020, with Rabbi Elana and the JLD team.
- Weekly Hang—May 13: An evening with Helga Luden, Holocaust Survivor, was presented by the Coalition for Preserving Memory (CPM).
- Weekly Hang—May 20: Trivia Night with Reuven.
- Weekly Hang—May 27: Mafia with Rabbi Elana!
- Weekly Hang—June 3: Online Pictionary fun with Joyce.
- Weekly Hang—June 10: Story time with Ethan!
- Torah Chanting Class—June 8-July 6: Rabbi Elana began a five-week long trope class, Mondays at noon. Students will be chanting Torah before they know it!
- Weekly Hang—June 17: Uno fun with Reuven!
- Weekly Hang—June 24: Online Pictionary fun with Joyce.
- Weekly Hang—July 1: Mafia with Rabbi Elana.
- Weekly Hang—July 8: Pictionary fun with Joyce.