Greetings Parents & Family members of the Duke Class of 2021-
My name is Jordan Hale and I am thrilled to be another one of the many faces to welcome you and your family to Duke. I serve as Director of New Student Programs and we are preparing to welcome your child and your family to their new home. Our team in New Student Programs hopes this letter will give you a TOP 5 list of things to get excited about/prepare for as you make your way to Durham.
- Make sure to print your move-in parking pass. Your parking pass was sent to you child earlier this summer via their MyDuke account. It is important to download and print the pass so you can know your specific move-in time, your move-in location and where to park your vehicle after it is unloaded. If your student cannot access the pass through MyDuke, please call the Office of New Student Programs at 919-684-3511 and we will work to make sure you are able to retrieve a pass.
- Enjoy the many programs from Parent and Family Orientation. Our partners in the Office of Parent and Family Programs have done an outstanding job working with campus partners and scheduling an informative, engaging, and fun Parent & Family Orientation program. Make sure to attend some of the sessions to hear about the myriad of things Duke has to offer not only for students, but also for parents and families.
- Move in day moves quickly. We have the amazing First-Year Advisory Counselors (FACs) who will be working with your child during Orientation Week. On Move-In Day, FACs will unload your vehicle and bring your students belongings to their room in a timely manner so all of the Class of 2021 can get settled in their new space. If your move-in shift is before noon, be sure to arrive on time and use the afternoon to run family errands. If your shift is in the afternoon, use the morning to rest, run errands, and pick-up your DukeCard to prepare for the afternoon move-in. Parking is available on West Campus in the Science Drive garage and there will be shuttles ensuring transportation back and forth all day between the Science Drive Lot and East Campus.
- Take a look at the schedule before you arrive. The schedule is available for you in three different places, two you can access right away! It is available online on the Duke Student Affairs Website or on your phone via the Duke Guides app. Head to the store where you download apps and search “Duke Guides”. This is the best way to stay up-to-date with the schedule and potential changes in the schedule. We also will have printed schedules here for you if you come for Parent and Family Orientation.
- Enjoy this experience! The Duke community is excited to be welcoming new members. While we know it may be a time of transition for you, be assured that we will do everything we can to ensure your child feels welcomed, connected, and experiences a sense of belonging here at Duke University.
Again, welcome! See you August 22nd