Application will be live on Monday, February 18, 2019.
Summer assignments will be released by May 1st.
Summer Housing Locations
Summer school 2019 housing will be located in Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E.
You are eligible for Summer housing if:
- You are a student enrolled in a Duke Summer Session for academic credit, or
- You are a Duke student working at least 20 hours per week and on the University payroll during the summer.
- Students employed by the University must submit a statement from their summer employer verifying employment as part of their application. The verification should give the name, telephone number and email address of the student's supervisor, the dates the student will begin and end employment, and the number of hours per week the student will be working. No assignment will be made until the verification letter is received. Letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your eligibility changes, you must notify Housing Assignments and vacate university housing within 48 hours of the change in eligibility.
- Assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend students apply by April 26 to maximize the chances of receiving your preferred assignment.
- Students enrolled in summer sessions will be assigned to Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E in double or single rooms. All double rooms are assigned the maximum occupancy.
- Your assignment will be cancelled if you do not complete check-in by the close of business on your move-in day. If your plans change after you apply and you no longer need housing, please notify the housing office (email@example.com) as soon as possible.
- Assignments will not be cancelled after keys are picked up unless you are no longer eligible for on campus housing.
Spring to Summer:
- This option is for eligible students who are not moving out between the end of spring semester and the beginning of summer session I and are assigned in approved summer housing (Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E).
- Eligible students may continue living in their spring assignment provided they comply with the application deadlines and the assigned space is not scheduled for maintenance or renovation. Applications received after April 26 will be accommodated as available.
Summer to Fall:
- This option is for eligible summer housing students who are not moving out between the end of summer session II and the beginning of the fall semester and are assigned in approved summer housing (Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E).
- Eligible students may continue living in their summer assignment provided they comply with the application deadlines and the assigned space is not scheduled for maintenance or renovation. Applications received after the deadline will be accommodated as available.
Summer Housing Rates
- Rent will be charged to your Bursar account prior to occupancy. All charges will be refunded if a request for summer housing is cancelled prior to moving in or picking up keys.
- Once you pick up keys, refunds will be made only when your eligibility for summer housing changes and you vacate housing. Refunds will be calculated based on dates of occupancy of the assigned space.
- Assignments may be cancelled if you do not complete your check-in by close of business on your move-in day. Refunds will be issued for cancelled assignments.
- Students are charged for the entire time they and/or their belongings occupy a space in an apartment.
- All charges and refunds will be applied to your Bursar account.
Summer 2019 Rates
|Rates per Person||4-week Summer Session I||
6-week Summer Session I
4-week Summer Session II
|6-week Summer Session II||
6-week Summer Session I & II
|May 14 - June 9||May 14 - June 28||July 8 - August 2||June 30 - August 12||May 14 - August 12||Monday to Monday|
|Single w AC||$1,246.00||$2,109.00||$1,246.00||$2,109.00||$4,218.00||$335.00|
|Double w AC||$943.00||$1,596.00||$943.00||$1,596.00||$3,192.00||$254.00|
|Rubenstein Scholars Double||June 27 - August 10||$1,596.00|
Weekly, non-summer school information:
*There is a consecutive, 4-week minimum for on-campus housing. The extension from spring to summer does not count towards the minimum. All weekly assignments will be made from Monday to Monday. Students booked weekly will be responsible for the full week's rate, regardless of move-out day. Students participating in summer sessions are not eligible for the weekly rate.
Campus Resources for Summer Housing
Duke Dining will operate dining facilities designed to meet the needs of the summer community. You will be able to select an optional Summer Dining Plan when you complete your housing application. For more information about dining plans and hours of operation of facilities on West and Central campuses, visit the Duke Dining web site. Contact Duke Dining at 919-660-3900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking and Transportation
Contact Duke Parking and Transportation Services (919-684-7275, email@example.com) for information about required fees, permits and rules governing summer parking and summer bus schedules. If you are not bringing a car, bus service is provided at regular intervals between campuses. A complete schedule can be found here.
Summer Student Housing FAQ
What type of housing is available during summer session?
- Summer Session housing: Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E. Students are assigned on a first come, first served basis, based on the application deadline.
In what order do you make assignments?
- Current residents, who apply on time and request to continue occupancy in designated summer housing, are assigned first with any preferred roommate.
- Students with an assignment for the fall semester are assigned next with any preferred roommate.
- Student blocks, whose members have all applied on time, are put in order for assignment according to the date of the last block member's application. Blocks are assigned at the same time as individual students and preferred roommate pairs.
- Individual students and roommate pairs are put in order for assignment according to the date of application and are assigned at the same time as student blocks.
- Individual students without a preferred roommate will be assigned to a vacant space in rooms where at all possible.
What is a block for summer housing?
A block is a group of students, up to 6, male or female. Only blocks where all participants have applied on time will be assigned consecutively. You will need to appoint a block leader and complete the preferred roommate section on the application.
Can I live in gender neutral housing for the summer?
Yes, please contact our office for options.
Why didn't I get the type of room I wanted?
The type of space you requested was not available due to scheduled maintenance, renovation, or prior assignment.
Why didn't I get my preferred roommate?
We honor all mutual roommate requests but there does come a point when we do not have any empty apartments to place roommate pairs and we must split pairs to make assignments.
How can I switch roommates with someone else?
Prior to confirmation of your application, you can make changes to your roommate pairing and block via the application. We do allow roommate swaps after move in. If two students wish to room together, and all of the involved students agree, a roommate swap is possible. The two students moving will need to contact the Housing Assignments Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting the change. Once the room change is approved, students will be contacted with the details to complete the room change.
Can I have a double room to myself?
No. We do not have enough double rooms to house students individually.
Can I be assigned to my fall semester room?
You can be assigned to your fall semester assignment if:
- You occupy the space summer sessions I and II, OR
- You occupy the space summer session II, and into the fall semester, and
- The spring semester occupant vacates the space.
- There is an additional charge for the time between the end of Summer Session Term II and the beginning of the fall semester.
- If your space is closed for the summer due to maintenance or renovation, you cannot be assigned to your fall assignment.
- If your fall assignment changes during the summer, you will be expected to vacate your summer assignment at the end of the summer session II. If your new assignment is available, we will try to move you, but there is no guarantee.
Can I store a friend's belongings in my room over the summer?
No, residence hall rooms do not allow the space for proper storage and increases fire safety risk.
Where am I supposed to stay when Keohane closes after summer session II?
Holdover housing is available for students who have fall assignments. We do not allow holdover housing for students moving off campus for the fall semester. Please look for more information about holdover housing on our website.
Can I get an extension in my spring assignment?
Yes, you can apply for an extension for your spring assignment if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Your assignment is in designated summer housing (Keohane 4A, 4B, 4D, 4E).
- You applied for summer housing.
- You are a member of part of an approved group participating in graduation weekend.
- You are an athlete participating in post-season play.
- There is an additional charge for the time between the end of the spring semester and the beginning of summer session I.
Can I move in early for summer session?
We are unable to accommodate early move-in requests. If you have an academic need, are an athlete participating in approved team activities, or have circumstances you believe would warrant early move-in for summer please e-mail email@example.com. Vacation or travel plans are not considered a valid need for early move-in.
Can I stay in my summer assignment until the residence halls open for the fall semester?
No, summer assignments are assigned for fall and must be vacated to have cleaning and maintenance completed prior to fall opening.
Application will be live on Monday, February 18.