Housing & Residence Life

Amenities and Services

Beds and Mattresses
HRL provides beds and mattresses for all student rooms and apartments. Most mattresses are extra long (XL) twin. The actual dimensions are approximately 80 inches long x 36 inches wide x 7 inches deep. Most bed frames can be adjusted via request through the campus office. The standard arrangement is the bed frame at 31" high with chests and bookshelves underneath the bed. Few Quad is the exception and bed frames can be adjusted to 60" to accommodate the desk and chests under the bed frame.



36" x 75"

XL Twin

36" x 80"


54" x 75"

East Campus        
Alspaugh   X   31" - Yes
Bassett   X   31" - Yes
Brown   X   31" - Yes
Pegram   X   31" - Yes
Giles   X   31" - Yes
West Residence Hall   X   31" - Yes
Wilson   X   31" - Yes
Gilbert-Addoms   X   31" - Yes
Southgate   X   31" - Yes
Blackwell   X   31" - Yes
Randolph   X   31" - Yes
Bell Tower   X   31" - Yes
Trinity     X 31" - No
West Campus        
Craven   X   31" - No
Crowell   X   31" - No
Edens     X 31" - No
Few X     60" - Yes
Hollows       31" - No
Singles     X 31" - No
Doubles   X   31" - No
Keohane   X   31" - Yes
Kilgo   X   31" - Yes
Wannamaker     X 31" - Yes
300 Swift        
Studio     X 31" - Yes
Double   X   31" - Yes

HRL cleans each room/apartment prior to occupancy. Thereafter it is the responsibility of the resident(s) to clean the space. The residence is expected to be kept in a sanitary condition during the year, and in a clean condition upon vacating. If a room requires extraordinary cleaning during occupancy or upon check-out, the cost will be charged to the resident(s). Housekeeping services will be provided on weekdays during the academic year (excluding holidays) only in commons areas of the residence halls.

Cleaning Closets

Each quad/house has a closet which HRL equips with cleaning supplies and tools. Your bedroom key unlocks the closet. Please return tools and unused supplies when you are finished so others may use them. See your Resident Assistant if you are unsure of the location of your cleaning closet. Contact your HRL Campus Office for restocking of supplies.

Computer Labs
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) manages and supports computer labs across campus. The labs are designed to meet a wide spectrum of academic needs, and feature Windows, Macintosh, Sun, and Linux computers and e-print stations. Each lab provides cutting-edge hardware and software to support academic activities such as word processing, Internet research, multimedia production, desktop publishing, and Web publishing. The labs are conveniently located near and in many residence halls. Most are open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Students and staff with a valid DukeCard may access labs with an outside entrance. Only those with a valid DukeCard for a building may access a lab in that building.


DukeCards may not be loaned or borrowed. Lost/stolen DukeCards must be reported immediately to the DukeCard Office; a replacement card can be issued for a charge. Students are required to carry their DukeCards at all times and must produce it upon request from a University Official.

Energy Conservation

Duke University is committed to controlling energy usage and costs. You can do your part to save energy by turning off unneeded lights, closing windows when the buildings are being heated or cooled, taking shorter showers, and reporting leaking/dripping faucets and toilets which flush continuously to the appropriate HRL Campus Office.

Exterior Phones

Exterior telephones are located outside the main entrance to most residence halls. These phones are local service restricted and have a three-minute maximum call limit. 

Heating and Air Conditioning and Energy Management

The majority of the residence halls are heated by steam radiators. Each radiator has a hand valve that allows available steam to heat the radiator when the valve is in the open position and prevents steam from entering the radiator when the valve is in the closed position. Radiators will only heat when steam is available. The energy management computer controls the availability of steam based on representative temperature readings.

Some buildings are heated by hot water systems. The hot water is heated to a predetermined level and circulated throughout the building to the individual heating units. Air circulates over convection fins in the heaters, is warmed by the hot water, and recirculates through the room. Anything in front of the heater (furniture, trunks, boxes, etc.) that interferes with the flow of the air will decrease the heating capability of the unit and will result in a cooler room.

All West Campus residence halls have central air-conditioning. Bell Tower, Blackwell, Randolph, Southgate, and Trinity have central air-conditioning and the remaining residence halls on East Campus have air-conditioning units. The air-conditioning systems are normally in operation from April through October.

The Facilities Management Department operates a computerized energy management system to control the heating and cooling systems for university buildings. Inside and outside temperature sensors are strategically located to relay representative temperatures back to the computer. It responds by opening or closing steam valves and turning fans on or off to adjust the heating or cooling levels.  This system attempts to maintain buildings at 68 - 72 degrees Fahrenheit during the heating season and 74 - 76 degrees Fahrenheit during the cooling season in air-conditioned buildings. The same system provides both the heat and the air conditioning; therefore, it is not possible to provide both at the same time or to switch back and forth. Once the system is converted to heat in the fall, it will remain in that mode until converted to air conditioning in the spring.  You may change the level of the heating or cooling by adjusting the thermostat setting. The central system is designed to heat or cool the building to a predetermined temperature while the thermostats are designed to allow minor adjustments to accommodate varying building conditions, such as a room on the sunny side of the building or a room with many windows. Radically changing the temperature setting will not radically change the room temperature.

If you feel that your room is too cold or too hot and is outside the established temperature ranges for heating or air conditioning, please call your HRL Campus Office to report the problem. Provide as much information as possible.

Please note that students may NOT bring their own air-conditioning units.  If found, unauthorized air conditioning units will be uninstalled and stored at the expense of the resident.

All residence halls are equipped with wireless internet access.  One port per room is activated to provide ethernet connection if needed. Contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT) Help Desk at 919-684-2200. 


A number of residence halls are equipped with kitchens. Residents are responsible for proper maintenance of kitchen facilities, including the cleanliness of refrigerators, ranges and ovens. Residents are responsible for removal of perishable items from the refrigerator and for cleaning utensils, pots and pans. Kitchens that are abused or not kept in good order may be locked.

Laundry Facilities

DukeCard and coin-operated laundry machines are located in laundry rooms throughout the residence halls. This service is provided through Duke Vending. To report broken machines or to request reimbursement when money is lost in the machines, call Duke Vending at 684-8363. Your HRL Campus Office will be happy to help you contact Duke Vending to get machines repaired. To report any other problems with the laundry facilities please call your HRL Campus Office.

Leaving Campus

There is no requirement that a student leave a record of his or her whereabouts if he or she leaves the Duke campus. However, in order that students can be located when needed in an emergency and in the interest of students' safety, and as a courtesy to your roommate(s), it is recommended that students leave information regarding their whereabouts and anticipated time of return with the Hall Staff or with roommates when they will be away from the residence hall.

Lock-Out Service
If you get locked out of your room during HRL Campus Office hours (Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.), go to your HRL Camus Office to borrow a key.  If you get locked out of your room when your HRL Campus Office is not open, contact your Resident Assistant (RA) or the RA on duty. The on-duty RA's name and phone number should be posted on your RA's door or on a nearby bulletin board.  Protect yourself from getting locked out by always carrying your key when you leave your room. The safest practice is to always lock your door and take your key anytime you leave - even if you are just going to visit a friend down the hall.


Managed through the Duke Post Office, all first year students are assigned a West Campus Post Office Box in the Bryan Center. All mail delivered by the US Postal Service should be addressed to this box number. Parcels shipped through other carriers (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) should be addressed directly to you at your assigned residence hall. Delivery staffs for many of the major carriers have been vetted and given card access to the residence halls. These delivery persons are able to deliver packages directly to your room.

1st Class Mail (USPS):
Student’s Full Name
Room # and Building
Street Address
Student’s PO Box #
Durham, NC 27708-Last 4 Digits of PO Box #

Private Carrier Packages:
Student’s Full Name
Room # and Building
Street Address
Student’s PO Box #
Durham, NC 27708


Maintenance requests should be made to the HRL Campus Office responsible for your residence hall/apartment. Please report all maintenance problems immediately and provide your HRL Campus Office with clear details. Maintenance problems resulting from abuse or negligence may be repaired at the expense of the resident(s). After office hours, call your HRL Campus Office and leave a message on voice-mail, or email your HRL Campus Office. The HRL Campus Office will respond the next business day. If the problem requires immediate attention, contact your Resident Assistant or the Resident Assistant on duty. If a Resident Assistant is not available, contact Duke University Police.


On-campus parking is limited and parking permits must be purchased though Parking and Transportation Services. Please contact the parking office at 919-684-7275 for additional information.

Personal Property Insurance
Duke University is not liable for damage, theft, or loss of a resident's personal belongings and does not carry insurance to cover such loss or damage.  Personal property insurance/renters insurance is a wise investment for all residents. You may be covered under a policy carried by your parent(s) or guardian - have them contact their insurance agent to be sure.

Pest Control
All areas of apartment and residence halls are treated each summer by a licensed pest control contractor. Public areas are treated again during semester break.  To avoid attracting pests, please do not leave containers of food open, do clean up spilled food immediately, and do not allow dirty dishes to accumulate. Remove paper bags and boxes - they are a food source for roaches.  Should a pest problem develop, please notify your HRL Campus Office at once. Pest control treatment for individual problems will be provided as needed, typically by the next business day.

Service Requests
In response to your request for service, HRL may need to enter your room when you are not home. In that case, we will leave an entry notice telling you when and why we entered. The notice will have the HRL Campus Office phone number and invite you to call if you have questions. Please also call if you are not satisfied with the service you receive or have any suggestions on how we can improve our service. Your HRL Campus Office is also responsible for the common areas of your building - hallways, commons rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, studies, laundry rooms, etc. - and would appreciate you calling about any problems or suggestions for these areas.

Snow Removal

The grounds section of the Facilities Management Department has responsibility for snow and ice removal. If you wish to volunteer your help in the removal of snow or ice around your residence hall, you may obtain small quantities of chemical deicer and borrow snow shovels from your HRL Campus Office. The University assumes no liability for any injury you may suffer as a result of this voluntary action.

Storage on campus is not available.  Many businesses exist off campus who will contract with students to provide storage.

The phone lines in the residence halls were deactivated in 2009. Residents are encouraged to pursue cell phone service.