Trip To Social Security Office
IHouse staff drives to the Durham Social Security Office at 10am on Wednesdays. Please meet at International House (300 Alexander Ave.) by 9:45 am if you want to drive with us in our van. Please note, we will offer additional trips to the Social Security Administration Office at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Contact IHouse for specific dates and times of additional trips.
- You must have been in the United States for at least 3 business days
- If you are a F-1 student, you must have an on-campus job
- If you are a J-1 student, you must have an on-campus job
- Unfortunately, F-2 dependent visas are NOT eligible to work or apply for SSN
- If you are on a J-2 visa, you may apply for a number after receiving your Employment Authorization Card
- If you are a F-1 student with a summer internship or OPT employment after graduation, you can apply for a number no more than 30 days prior to your job start date. Bring your Job Offer Letter.
ITEMS TO BRING
- Your Passport
- Your I-94 card. Go to: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home to print off your electronic arrival/departure record
- F-1 (and J-1 Student) visa holder with On-campus Employment: I-20, completed Memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services and the job offer letter from your employer
- F-1 (and J-1 Student) visa holder with a Research or Teaching Assistantship: I-20, completed Memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services and the completed Memorandum issued by the Duke Department
- J-1 Scholar visa holder: DS-2019 and the memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services to the Social Security Administration
- J-2 visa holder: Employment Authorization Card & DS-2019
- H-1B visa holder: I-797
Social Security Administration Durham Office
#3511 Shannon Road, Suite 200
Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9AM - 3PM
Wednesdays: 9AM - NOON
The office is closed for all major US holidays. No reservation is needed.
Getting there without a Car. From Duke University you can take Bus #6B or Bus #11 downtown. Then at downtown terminal switch to Bus #10. Tell bus driver to let you off at the corner of Shannon Road and MLK Boulevard. If you time it right, the trip will take one hour one way. This is a long time for a destination that only takes 10 minutes to get to by car. We recommend taxi or UBER. Cost of Bus: $1 one-way or free with Go Pass. To map your route, go to: www.gotriangle.org
Tired of carrying around your passport? Ready to begin driving lessons? Then come get a State Identification Card or take a driver’s license exam.
Driver's License Office (South)
3825 S. Roxboro St., Suite 119
Durham, NC 27713
Once a month, IHouse offers a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Please bring the following items with you:
- Visa Document (I-20 or DS-2019)
- I-94 card
- Social Security Card (only if you have one)
- $15.00 cash or check. NO CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED.
- Proof of Residence-a letter from your bank or utility company with your name and Durham/Chapel Hill street address on it, or your apartment lease.
Note: If you are an undergraduate student you must go to 218 Alexander Street to get your Proof of Residence from Res Life Office.
Spring 2019 Schedule (Trip leaves from IHouse)
- Thursday, January 17, 8am
- Friday, February 15, 8am
- Thursday, March 14, 8am
- Tuesday, April 16, 8am
- Thursday, May 16, 8am
- Thursday, June 13, 8am
- Thursday, July 25th at 8:00 am
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.