Trip To Social Security Office
IHouse staff drives to the Durham Social Security Office at 10am on Wednesdays. For spring 2017, the trip will be offered every Wednesday from Jan 4 until May 17. Please meet at International House (300 Alexander Ave.) by 9:45am if you want to drive with us in our van.
- You must have been in the United States for at least 3 business days
- If you are a F-1 student, you must have an on-campus job
- Unfortunately, F-2 dependent visas are NOT eligible to work or apply for SSN
- If you are on a J-2 visa, you may apply for a number after receiving your Employment Authorization Card
- If you are a F-1 student with a summer internship or OPT employment after graduation, you can apply for a number no more than 30 days prior to your job start date. Bring your Job Offer Letter.
ITEMS TO BRING
- Your Passport
- Your I-94 card. Go to: www.i94.cbp.gov/I94 to print off your electronic arrival/departure record
- F-1 visa holder: I-20 and the job offer letter from your employer
- J-1 visa holder: DS-2019, the position offer letter from your department, and the memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services to the Social Security Administration
- J-2 visa holder: Employment Authorization Card & DS-2019
- H-1B visa holder: I-797
Social Security Administration Durham Office
#3511 Shannon Road, Suite 200
Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9AM - 3PM
Wednesdays: 9AM - NOON
The office is closed for all major US holidays. No reservation is needed.
Getting there without a Car. From Duke University you can take Bus #6B or Bus #11 downtown. Then at downtown terminal switch to Bus #10. Tell bus driver to let you off at the corner of Shannon Road and MLK Boulevard. If you time it right, the trip will take one hour one way. This is a long time for a destination that only takes 10 minutes to get to by car. We recommend taxi or UBER. Cost of Bus: $1 one-way or free with Go Pass. To map your route, go to: www.gotriangle.org
Back to top
Trip To Department Of Motor Vehicles
Tired of carrying around your passport? Ready to begin driving lessons? Then come get a State Identification Card or take a driver’s license exam.
Driver's License Office (South)
3825 S. Roxboro St., Suite 119
Durham, NC 27713
Once a month, IHouse offers a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Please bring the following items with you:
- Visa Document (I-20 or DS-2019)
- I-94 card
Note: Students and Scholars entering the U.S. by air or sea ports of entry may not have been issued a paper I-94 card due to a new procedure of automating the I-94 at U.S. Customs & Border Protection for those visitors arriving after May 2013. If so, please visit www.cbp.gov/I94 to print off your electronic arrival/departure record as evidence of your I-94.
- Social Security Card (only if you have one)
- $15.00 cash or check. NO CREDIT OR DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED.
- Proof of Residence-a letter from your bank or utility company with your name and Durham/Chapel Hill street address on it, or your apartment lease.
Note: If you are an undergraduate student you must go to 218 Alexander Street to get your Proof of Residence from Res Life Office.
Spring 2017 Schedule
- Tuesday, Jan 24, 8:30am
- Thursday, Feb 16, 8:30am
- Tuesday, Mar 21, 8:30am
- Thursday, Apr 20, 8:30am
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top