International House (IHouse)

IHouse Services

Due to COVID-19 all transportation services offered by IHouse are currently on postponed.  To apply for a social security number and or NC State ID or Driver’s License, please see instructions below or email

Suspended: Trip to Social Security Administration (SSA)

Until further notice, IHouse staff will not be offering rides to the SSA or DMV.  For information on obtaining a Social Security Number, please see eligibility guidelines and required documentation below.  

Social Security Administration Office – visit office by appointment only 

3511 Shannon Road, Suite 200 
Durham 27707 
Tel. 800.772.1213 

Getting there without a car.  From Duke University you can take Bus #6B or Bus #11 downtown.  Then at downtown terminal switch to Bus #10.  Tell bus driver to let you off at the corner of Shannon Road and MLK Boulevard.  If you time it right, the trip will take one hour one way.  This is a long time for a destination that only takes 10 minutes to get to by car.  We recommend you take a taxi or UBER.   Cost of Bus: city buses are currently running fare-free.  To map your route, go to: 

How to Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) during COVID-19 Closings and Restrictions 

Whether you are here on an F or J visa, you must have a job offer before you can apply and then only within 30 days of your start date. 

If you have already begun working or are within 30 days of starting a job, please send the following information/documents and IHouse staff will forward your documents to a Social Security Administration agent.  Once it is determined that you qualify for an SSN and your documents are sufficient, they will be required to attend an in-person appointment at the Social Security Agency at 3511 Shannon Road Suite 200, Durham, 27707. 

If you meet the above criteria, please submit the following to 

  • Your phone number 

  • Copy of your Passport page - with your age, the expiration date of passport, etc 

  • Copy of the VISA in your Passport 

  • I-20 or DS2019 

  • Memorandum from the Duke Visa Office (also signed by your hiring department) 


Back to top

Trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Appointments are required for ALL services that need to be completed in a DMV office. To make an appointment online, please go to the NCDMV website. If you need to get your driver's license, select "Driver License – First Time" for appointment type, and you will take a road test at your scheduled appointment. 

Tired of carrying around your passport? Ready to begin driving lessons? Then apply for a State Identification Card or take a driver’s license exam.

Driver's License Office (South)
3825 S. Roxboro St., Suite 119
Durham, NC 27713
(919) 560-3378

Once a month, IHouse offers a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Please bring the following items with you:

  • Passport
  • Visa Document (I-20 or DS-2019)
  • I-94 card
  • Social Security Card (only if you have one)
  • $5.00 cash, check or credit/debit card accepted
  • Proof of Residence-a letter from your bank or utility company with your name and Durham/Chapel Hill street address on it, or your apartment lease.

Note: If you are an undergraduate student, to get your Proof of Residence, you must go to

Residence Life Office

101 Bryan Center
125 Science Drive
Phone: 919-684-3737

Fall 2021 Schedule (to be determined)

Questions?  Please email