8 Nights of Hanukkah Candle Lighting with Jewish Life at Duke
Sunday, November 28 – Sunday, December 5, 2021
Various Locations Across Campus
Jewish Life at Duke invites you to join us for each of the eight nights of Hanukkah as we light candles with our Duke community, featuring fun themes and special guests! All events will begin with Hanukkah blessings and candle lighting.
- Sunday, November 28 from 8:00-8:30pm: First Night French Fry Fest
- Monday, November 29 from 8:30-9:00pm: Cookies & Candles
- Tuesday, November 30 at 7:00pm: Hybrid Live/Virtual Hanukkah Candle Lighting with Special Guests President Vincent E. Price and Provost Sally Kornbluth*
- Wednesday, December 1 from 6:00-8:00pm: Latkapalooza with the Jewish Student Union, at Devil's Krafthouse, West Campus
- Thursday, December 2 from 5:30-6:00pm: East Campus Night, hosted by Duke Jewish Student Union’s First-Year Council, Gilbert-Addoms Patio, East Campus
- Friday, December 3 from 5:30-8:00pm: Hanukkah Shabbat Service & Dinner
- Saturday, December 4, time TBD: Donuts & Dreidels, hosted by the Duke Jewish Business Association, Duke Jewish Law Students Association, and Graduate & Professional Students
- Sunday, December 5 from 7:30-9:30pm: Movie Night, hosted by Duke Friends of Israel
All events take place at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life unless otherwise listed.
*Hanukkah Candle Lighting with Jewish Life at Duke, with special guests President Vincent E. Price and Provost Sally Kornbluth (Hybrid Live/Virtual)
Tuesday November 30, 2021
7:00pm In-person at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life (1415 Faber St. Durham)
7:15pm Streaming virtually via Zoom
Join Jewish Life at Duke for Hanukkah candle lighting during the Festival of Lights. Duke's Campus Rabbi and Jewish Chaplain Elana Friedman will be joined by special guests Duke University President Vincent E. Price and Provost Sally Kornbluth. Students, alumni, parents, faculty/staff, families, and Duke friends are invited to join. We'll be hosting in-person at the Freeman Center for Jewish Life with a virtual streaming option for all who can join us remotely.
In 2020, we invited the Duke community to join us for each of the eight nights of Hanukkah as we lit candles virtually with our Duke community, featuring some very special guests including Jon Scheyer, Duke Men's Basketball Associate Head Coach, Sally Kornbluth, Duke University Provost, Dan Ariely, James B. Duke Distinguished Professor of Behavioral Economics, and Vincent E. Price, 10th President of Duke University. You can view a playlist of some of our featured guests here!