As your Jewish Life at Duke family continues to strive to be your home away from home, even while we are not together on campus for the Spring 2020 term, we are proud to introduce JLD@Home, where you'll find virtual programming and new opportunities for connection and healing. Click here for a message from Jewish Life at Duke Director, Joyce Gordon. Be sure to install the Zoom app for easy access to JLD@Home activities. Read on for current listings and Zoom links:
Monday-Thursday at 4:00 pm (EST): Pop in to visit with JLD staff members to chat, play games or have discussions. Our staff members will rotate with a topic of conversation, structured activity, or just a chance to hang out. Topics range from podcast recommendations and bracketology to favorite movies and game time— with Rabbi Elana, Joyce, Ethan, Reuven!
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/104646281
Fridays at 5:00 pm (EST): Join JLD's virtual Shabbat experience, including songs from our Shabbat Shira (song session), sharing each person’s “good thing of the week,” and engaging in Shabbat prayer and intentions for healing. A great way to enter Shabbat wherever you are.
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/409322418
Wednesdays at 1:00 pm (EST), starting March 25: Each week, study a Torah teaching with Rabbi Elana over lunch (B.Y.O.Lunch;). Topics range from the weekly Torah portion to upcoming holidays and classic stories. No experience is necessary and all are welcome.
Zoom link: https://duke.zoom.us/j/606811432
Virtual Coffee Conversations
And be sure to check-out programming from Hillel@Home, a wholly unique global online platform from Hillel International for students to learn and connect. Hillel@Home offers virtual ways to join discussions with world-renowned thought leaders and speakers, including Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, Obama administration speechwriter Sarah Hurwitz, Comedy Central executive Tara Schuster, six-time NBA All-Star Amar’e Stoudemire and many more.
Past JLD@Home Programs
The following virtual programs have passed, but we are open to your requests! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a program idea or would like to host a Daily Hang.
- Daily Hang—March 17: Rabbi Elana Friedman began our sessions by connecting and checking in with students.
- Daily Hang—March 18: JLD Director, Joyce Gordon chatted with students and traded favorite podcasts.
- Daily Hang—March 19: Ethan Helfand, Associate Director for Student Programming and Leadership, hosted a "bracketology" themed hangout session with students.
- Israel Update—March 19: Jewish Agency Israel Fellow Reuven Remez teamed up with Emory Hillel's Israel Fellow Michal Hartman to update students on and discuss the Israeli elections -- coalitions, multiple elections, and more.
- Daily Hang—March 23: Joyce shared some creative thinking about gifts during quarantine!
- Daily Hang—March 24: Game Time with Rabbi Elana.
- Daily Hang—March 25: Reuven talked all things movies.
- Daily Hang—March 26: Holy Shirtballs! "The Good Place" -- Ethan hosts a watch party and discussion.
- Daily Hang—March 30: Shakshuka 101 JLD joined Reuven in his kitchen for some Shakshuka instruction!
- Daily Hang—March 31: Rabbi Elana played Mafia and checked-in with students.
- Daily Hang—April 1: Craft Time with Joyce - Joyce shared her love of crafting with the Zoom crowd.
- Daily Hang—April 2: Yiddish far di zoomers - Ethan shared some Yiddish for the Zoom Generation!