--1/2 cup of Quinoa
--1 3/4 cups flour
--2 1/4 Teaspoons of baking soda
--1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
--8 oz butter
--1 cup plus 2 Tbsp of sugar
--1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
--2 large eggs
--1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy then add eggs beat well.
4. Gradually add in flour and quinoa* to mixture then stir in chocolate chips.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoon or tablespoon depending on how big you want the cookies onto ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake 7-10 minutes until golden brown
How to cook the quinoa:
Soak the quinoa for 15 min - 1/2 hour in it's cooking pot (soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly, and loosens up the outer coating of saponin, which can give a bitter taste if not removed). If you don't have time for a longer soaking, use hot water and soak for five minutes.
Stir the quinoa with your hand, and carefully pour off the rinsing water, using a fine mesh strainer. Drain quinoa well in the strainer, transfer to the cooking pot, add water in a ratio of 1.5:1 & salt if desired.
Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on. Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve.
For more information on balancing your plate, click here
Original recipe courtesy of Bon Appetite Catering at Duke