--1/2 cup of Quinoa
â¨--1 3/4 cups flour
â¨--2 1/4 Teaspoons of baking soda â¨
--1 1/2 teaspoons of salt â¨
--8 oz butter
â¨--1 cup plus 2 Tbsp of sugar â¨
--1 teaspoon of vanilla extract â¨
--2 large eggs â¨
--1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy then add eggs beat well.
4. Gradually add in flour and quinoa* to mixture then stir in chocolate chips.
5. Drop by rounded teaspoon or tablespoon depending on how big you want the cookies onto ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake 7-10 minutes until golden brown
â¨â¨*How to cook the quinoa:
Soak the quinoa for 15 min - 1/2 hour in it's cooking pot (soaking helps quinoa to cook evenly, and loosens up the outer coating of saponin, which can give a bitter taste if not removed). If you don't have time for a longer soaking, use hot water and soak for five minutes.
â¨â¨Stir the quinoa with your hand, and carefully pour off the rinsing water, using a fine mesh strainer. Drain quinoa well in the strainer, transfer to the cooking pot, add water in a ratio of 1.5:1 & salt if desired.â¨â¨
Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.â¨â¨
Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on. Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve.
For more information on balancing your plate, click here
â¨Original recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit Catering at Duke