Student Health Services offers general medical care, nutritional counseling, laboratory services, immunization and allergy clinics, sexual health counseling, and a variety of other services.
The Allergy Clinic is staffed by a nurse with specialized training in administering allergy immunotherapy.
Allergy injections are covered by the Student Health Fee, but will NOT be given without current written orders and injection schedules from the prescribing physician.
- If you have never received an allergy injection you must receive your first dose from your allergist.
- Students utilizing the Allergy Clinic must complete a consent form to receive treatment.
- Provide your allergist with this form: Request for Allergy Immunotherapy-Non SHC Provider.
- Extract Vials can be hand delivered by the student or sent via Fed-Ex, next day services. and may not be mailed via US Postal Service or directly forwarded to DSHAC. DSHAC will not mail/ forward extracts.
- Please be aware that if you are late for an Allergy Clinic appointment, you will have to reschedule.
Discover the expertise and friendly service you need to help maintain optimal wellness. We provide prescriptions, over-the-counter medication and more! Our pharmacists and technicians are ready to serve you and support a healthier, happier Duke community. Open to all students, faculty and staff.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:30pm*
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 7:00pm*
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:30pm*
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:30pm*
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:30pm*
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday : Closed
*Closed 12:30 - 1:00pm For Lunch
Pharmacy & Insurance
The Duke Student Medical Insurance Plan (SMIP) provides prescription coverage as described in the plan outline (see page 3 for prescription coverage information).
For non-SMIP individuals, the pharmacy accepts all major prescription insurance carriers as listed below. New prescriptions may be sent to the Duke Campus Center Pharmacy. Additionally, we offer prescription medication transfer services to our store for those seeking to refill their medications.
Faculty and staff participating in Dukeâs medical plans also have the option of purchasing long-term maintenance medications (90-day supply) at the on-site pharmacy under the same guidelines as Express Scripts Mail Order, which offers a lower co-payment and is not subject to the $100 deductible for brand/non-formulary drugs.
Accepted Insurance Carriers
Please note, if your provider is not listed, please contact the pharmacy to inquire.
- Express Scripts
- Prime Therapeutics
- CMS Medicare
- Opus Health
- RX Options
The dentist will see you now!
Discover the expertise and friendly service you need to help maintain optimal wellness. Our Dental Care Team is made up of an experienced group of licensed professionals who are committed to providing the Duke community with the highest quality dental care available. We are here to serve you and support a healthier, happier Duke community. Open to all Duke Students. Click here for more information.
The fastest way to schedule an appointment is to call 919-296-1212, or email DukeDentist@campus-smiles.com.
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Diagnostic services (e.g. digital X-rays, examinations)
- Preventative services (e.g. cleanings, fluoride)
- Restorative services (e.g. fillings)
- Prosthetic services (e.g. crowns, bridges, dentures, implants, Bruxism, and TMJ therapy)
- Endondontic services (e.g. root canals)
- Periodontal services (e.g. gum treatments)
- Oral surgery (e.g. extractions)
- Invisalign orthodontics (e.g. clear, removable orthodontics)
- Cosmetic services (e.g. advanced teeth whitening, veneers, and cosmetic crowns)
- Oral Cancer Detection
We accept all major PPO insurance plans, including the school-sponsored dental plan. A University Dental Savings Plan is available to patients without insurance on a per semester basis for $129, which includes a complete exam, a full set of x-rays, cleaning, substantial discounts on treatment, Invislaign, and teeth whitening.
Immunization Services provides a wide range of vaccines.
Vaccines offered include:
- MMR - Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Meningococcal - Meningitis
- Tuberculosis Screening
- Varicella - Chicken Pox
The Travel Clinic provides services for health needs prior to and following travel.
Services offered include:
- Medical Travel Advice
- Recommended and Required Immunizations
- Preventative Prescriptions and Information
- Health Advisories Based on Travel Destination
- Comprehensive Travel Health Planners
We offer a wide range of laboratory services provided by certified medical technologists.
Lab tests covered by the Student Health Fee include:
- Complete Blood Count
- Manual Differentials
- Complete Urinalysis,
- Finger-stick Glucose
- Wet Prep for Vaginal Infections
- KOH Skin
- Rapid Strep
- Rapid Mononucleosis
- Rapid HCG
- Sed Rate
- All other lab tests will be sent to Duke Health or LabCorp and will be billed to your insurance.
Duke Physical Therapy provides a broad range of services for students, faculty and staff. Conveniently located in the Student Wellness Center on West Campus.
To make an appointment, call 919-681-3288, or ask your doctor or referral specialist to specify our office.
Mondays: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesdays: 8:00am - 7:00pm
Wednesdays: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Thursdays: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fridays: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Services provided include:
- therapeutic exercise: including stretching and strengthening
- manual therapy for joint or muscle injuries, including specialized techniques (Graston and trigger point dry needling)
- pain management
- balance training
- functional training (return to running and sports progressions)
- injury prevention
- postural education
- instruction on proper biomechanics with functional activities (squatting, running, etc)
- and more!
Primary Health Services at Duke University provide confidential, professional treatment for a variety of health needs.
Services available include:
- Physical Exams
- Information on Sexual Concerns
- Testing and Treatment of STIs
- Preventative Services
- Nutritional and Lifestyle Counseling
- Contraceptive Counseling
- Menstrual Disorder Treatment,
- HIV testing and counseling regarding PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxsis for HIV prevention) as part of safer sex
- HPV and flu vaccines
- Pregnancy Detection
- Birth Control and Pregnancy Counseling
Now Offering Virtual Visits!
Student Health is now offering virtual visits over a secure online platform so students can consult directly with our providers using their personal devices.
Students that have been seen at Student Health at least once, have a MyChart account, are in the state of North Carolina, and using a device with either Google Chrome or Firefox as a browser may be able to schedule these appointments.
Students with concerns listed below can call our Nurse Triage line at (919) 681-9355 and choose option 2.
- Latent Tuberculosis
- Initial Discussion
- Direct Observed Therapy
- PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxsis for HIV)
- Re-checks for skin infections previously seen in person at the Student Health Center
- Routine follow-up for anxiety
- Routine follow-up for depression
- Sexual Health
- Birth control counseling
- Birth control refills
- Sexually transmitted infections counseling for students without symptoms
- Thyroid medication refill
- Women with urinary tract infection symptoms that are similar to previous infections
- Women with vaginal symptoms that are similar to previous vaginal infections