Duke students, please contact Li-Chen Chin, Assistant Vice President for Intercultural Programs, with questions or concerns that are not answered below. You can reach her via email at li-chen.chin@duke.edu or by phone at 919-684-5480.

Frequently Asked Questions

A: Duke welcomes applications from undocumented and DACA students, and uses the same "need-blind" process as applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The need-blind model allows Duke to create a class characterized by both exceptional talent and meaningful diversity. If you are interested in applying for Duke for undergraduate study, please consult the Admissions Office. If you are interested in applying for graduate/professional study, please check with the school/program directly.

A: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services continues to accept DACA applicants from individuals who currently have or previously had DACA. For more detailed information, please consult US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Although the fate of the DACA program remains uncertain, Duke is firmly committed to protecting the right of all students to learn and discover, regardless of their background or immigration status.

A: US Citizenship and Immigration Services has the authority to revoke or terminate an advance parole document at any time. Effective September 5, 2017, USCIS no longer approves any new applications for advance parole under standards associated with the DACA program. If your DACA and/or advance parole document is revoked while you are abroad, you may not be allowed to re-enter the US by US Customs and Border Protection, which has the authority in determining the admissibility of any person presenting at the border.

A: A student may not be able to travel outside the U.S. for various reasons. Academic programs such as Duke Immerse that may include international travel will provide a parallel local or domestic experience for students who are not able to leave the U.S. Please consult with the faculty and/or your academic dean if you see a course or an academic program you are interested in to discuss it in detail. 

A: Please appoint a family member or a trusted friend as your representative. If you are stopped or detained off campus, ask your representative to page the Dean-on-call at 919-970-4169, and the Dean-on-call will respond and connect you with appropriate resources.

A: If you earned less than $55,000, you are eligible for free tax preparation assistance from Duke Law School’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). You can get more information at the VITA site.

A: It is normal to feel anxious at this time of uncertainty. You should seek support from others, such as family, friends, religious/spiritual communitiesstudent groups, and your Duke advisors. Duke Counseling and Psychological Services provides professional support and adheres to confidentiality rules that protect all students' privacy. It also provides a list of resources on how to care for oneself and others.

A: If you have been granted deferred action under DACA, you are eligible to apply for a North Carolina driver's license for the duration of your permission to remain in the US, and if you meet all other statutory requirements. For more information consult North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. 

A: If you entered the US without inspection, you do not have an immigration status. DACA approval does not grant you a valid status. If you entered the US legally but overstayed, and you are over the age of 18, you may be accumulating time toward “unlawful presence” in the US and subject to a 3- or 10-year bar from re-entering the US. Please consult with an immigration attorney who can evaluate your circumstances.

A: Please consult your home school's class attendance and missed work policy.  If you need financial assistance for travel, please consult with your financial support counselor.  

A: You should apply for a passport immediately. Contact a consul of your country of birth for more information. If you are going to travel in the US, you should carry a valid passport and a folder that contains your DACA application, approval notice, employment authorization document, and be ready for inspection if requested.

A: The US immigration regulations define “child” as an unmarried person under the age of 21. A “child” can be deported. If you are concerned that you may not be able to take care of certain matters for yourself, you may consider appointing a family member or a trusted friend the power to make decisions on your behalf or "Power of Attorney". For more information, please consult the North Carolina Bar Association.

A: You can find a list of domestic summer opportunities and graduate opportunities as well as graduate schools with support for DACA/undocumented students through Office of Undergraduate Scholars and Fellows

You can also get email updates and schedule an advising meeting online.

A:  Duke offers many programs outside of Durham, including the Duke Marine Lab. The Global Education Office administers semester programs in DC, New York, and Los Angeles as well as summer programs in Alaska, Chicago, New York, and Silicon Valley. DukeEngage offers immersive summer service programs throughout the U.S.