Impacting, Informing, Creating, Inspiring
What is an Alternative Fall Break?
Held during the traditional fall break period, Alternative Fall Break is a program where students immerse themselves in Durham and participate in projects where they not only serve the community but learn about issues affecting communities with which they may not otherwise interact. AFB will provide an in-depth look at a number of social issues and gives participants the opportunity to learn, reflect, and identify ways that they can have an impact on issues facing society.
The UCAE: SA Alternative Break Program Mission Statement:
The Alternative Fall Break Program within UCAE: Student Activities provides participants with intentional opportunities to move beyond the walls of Duke through impacting and informing personal perspectives, creating environments for mutual learning and inspiring connections across communities.
Through the Alternative Breaks Program, we hope students will!
- have a heightened awareness of societal issues
- explore ways to positively impact societal issues and their communities
- reflect on personal experiences to apply their learning in the future
- understand underlying causes of social injustice
- be able to effectively collaborate with others
Current Alternative Break Trip
Information on the Fall 2019 Alternative Break experience will be posted in the coming months. Check back in August for more details.