Student Affairs Distinguished Leadership and Service Awards
The Student Affairs Distinguished Leadership and Service Awards honor graduating students whose collective contributions to the Duke and larger communities are grounded in the values of the University’s mission as found in the Duke Community Standard. Students who have demonstrated extraordinary leadership and service to others through character, collaboration and citizenship in their curricular and co-curricular endeavors are eligible for these awards.
Student Affairs Distinguished Leadership and Service Awards are given in EACH of the following five categories:
Respect for Community
The recipient will be a student whose influence and achievement in curricular and co- curricular endeavors have demonstrated respect for the individual as well as promoted the ideals of an inclusive community.
Commitment to Diversity
The recipient will be a student who has committed his or her University experience to bringing recognition and appreciation of the myriad of distinct and extraordinary perspectives of Duke community members.
Demonstration of Integrity
The recipient will be a student whose influence and achievements have embodied the highest ideals of character, honor and integrity.
Expanding the Boundaries of Learning
The recipient will be a student who has taken full advantage of his or her collegiate experience by engaging fully inside and outside of the classroom and has created learning opportunities for his or her peers.
Building Alliances through Collective Engagement
The recipient(s) will be a student or a group of students whose work and collaboration on- or off-campus as a team have brought positive results for a community.
How to Nominate:
Please complete the nomination form found here
Nominations will be accepted until March 19th 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- When completing the nomination form, please specify for which of the three award categories the student is being nominated. You may nominate a student for more than one award category; however, a separate nomination form is required for each.
- Your nomination should speak specifically to the criteria of this award. Please limit each response to 250 words.
- We recommend that you type your responses on a separate page and paste your answers in paragraph form to avoid your browser timing out. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.
- Please note all nominations must be submitted via the online form. Email nominations will not be accepted.
All nominators will be asked to address/respond to the following prompts:
- How long have you known the nominee and in what capacity.
- Describe the nominee’s contributions and achievements. Address the breadth and depth of each contribution, as well as the nominee’s intentions behind them.
- Describe how the nominee’s leadership embodies and demonstrates the criteria of this award. Give specific examples.
- Read each statement about leadership and reflect on the nominee. Select only one of the three statements and discuss how the nominee embodies that statement.
- A. Leadership involves character and showing congruence between one’s values, beliefs and actions.
- B. Leadership involves collaborating with others, especially seeking diverse voices and multiple perspectives and identifying and mobilizing communities around common goals.
- C. Leadership involves acting with civility, purpose and intention by engaging and inspiring citizenship.
- Add any additional information for the selection committee here.
Any Duke undergraduate, graduate, or professional student graduating September 2016, December 2016, or May 2017 is eligible to receive a Student Affairs Distinguished Leadership and Service Award.
Name: Jesse Simmons
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please join us in recognizing the nominees and recipients on April 20th from 5:00pm-7:00pm.
More information about all awards presented can be found at