William J. Griffith University Service Award
The William J. Griffith University Service Award is presented annually to a select number of graduating students whose service and contributions to the Duke and larger communities have significantly impacted University life. Recipients demonstrate effective University, communal and global citizenship.
The award is divided into the following three categories:
- Outstanding Contributions to the Duke Community (as a whole or specific communities)
- Outstanding Contributions to the Durham and Local Community
- Outstanding Contributions to the Global Community
How to Nominate:
Please complete the nomination form found here: http://tinyurl.com/DukeGriffithAward
Nominations will be accepted until Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM.
- When completing the nomination form, please specify for which of the three award categories the student is being nominated. You may nominate a student for more than one award category; however, a separate nomination form is required for each.
- Your nomination should speak specifically to the criteria of this award. Please limit each response to 250 words.
- We recommend that you type your responses on a separate page and paste your answers in paragraph form to avoid your browser timing out. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.
- Please note all nominations must be submitted via the online form. Email nominations will not be accepted.
All nominators will be asked to address/respond to the following prompts:
- How long have you known the nominee and in what capacity?
- Describe the nominee’s contributions and achievements. Address the breadth and depth of each contribution, as well as the nominee’s intentions behind them.
- Describe how the nominee’s leadership embodies and demonstrates the criteria of this award. Give specific examples.
- Read each statement about leadership and reflect on the nominee. Select only one of the three statements and discuss how the nominee embodies that statement.
- Leadership involves character and showing congruence between one’s values, beliefs and actions.
- B. Leadership involves collaborating with others, especially seeking diverse voices and multiple perspectives and identifying and mobilizing communities around common goals.
- C. Leadership involves acting with civility, purpose and intention by engaging and inspiring citizenship.
- Add any additional information for the selection committee here.
Any Duke undergraduate, graduate, or professional student graduating September 2016, December 2016, or May 2017 is eligible to receive the William J. Griffith University Service Award.
Name: Layla Brown-Vincent
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please join us in recognizing the nominees and recipients on April 20th from 5:00pm-7:00pm.
More information about all awards presented can be found at