I want to vote in North Carolina*
To register to vote, you will need either a valid social security number or a NC driver’s ID number. Register by:
- Using TurboVote**
- Download a registration form and mail it in to your state's Board of Elections
- Registered in-person at one of the many organized voter registration drives
- Register in person during the early voting. A Student ID is sufficient proof of address to register to vote. We recommend registering before the deadline to avoid long wait lines at early voting.
All Duke students are encouraged to use TurboVote. TurboVote provides easy-to-follow step-by-step directions through the registration process.
This video on how to register to vote as a college student also provides helpful information.
For assistance using TurboVote contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* NOTE: Registering to vote in North Carolina could impact your ability to claim residency in your home state for graduate school and tuition benefits. Please check with your state board of elections before registering.
** NOTE: COMPLETING THE ONLINE PORTION OF TURBOVOTE DOES NOT COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION. YOU MUST ALSO COMPLETE THE NECESSARY STEPS TO MAIL IN THE FORM CREATED VIA TURBOVOTE.
I want to vote in my home state
Return your ballot by the absentee ballot return deadline for your state.
What’s my address?
The Board of Elections cannot use your dorm name and room number for the residential address on the registration form. You must instead use your campus location, rather than your dorm name and room number:
- If you live on East Campus, write Duke East Campus on Line 1 (Durham, NC 27708)
- If you live on West Campus, write Duke West Campus on Line 1 (Durham, NC 27708)
- If you live on East or West, enter: [Your PO BOX number] on Line 1, Duke University on Line 2, and Durham, NC 27708 when asked "Where do you receive mail?" later in TurboVote process.
- If you live on Central Campus, write your street address (Zip code is 27705)
- If you live off campus, write your street address
- If you have moved from East Campus to West or Central Campus, you need to update your registration. If you have moved off-campus, you also need to update your registration.
For your mailing address, use your Duke PO box, central, or off-campus address.
Where is my local Board of Elections?
Durham County’s Board of Elections:
Durham County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 868
Durham, NC 27702-0868
Fax: (919) 560-0688
If not voting in North Carolina, you can check your local election official here.