Graduate and undergraduate students of any gender who are victims of gender violence--sexual assault, rape, sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, stalking--can get information and support about their options including, but not limited to:
- Trauma-focused therapy
- Housing and academic accommodations
- Filing a formal report with the Office of Student Conduct
- Referrals and accompaniment for medical assessment and treatment
- Assistance with law enforcement and obtaining a protective order
- Safety assessment and planning
- Assessment of the need for additional social and emotional support
to help you know what to expect if you decide to contact us regarding an experience with gender violence.
Our services include:
Counseling & Case Management
Therapy for survivors of gender violence, including sexual assault, sexual harassment, rape, stalking, and intimate partner violence is available to undergraduates and graduate students who are enrolled at Duke as full time students. Three licensed clinical social workers provide clinical interventions to assist the student in resolving symptoms of anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
Medical Care Referral and Arrangement
A trained staff person will accompany a survivor of sexual assault in obtaining medical care after an assault. If the survivor chooses, this care may include a forensic examination to collect evidence of the assault or follow-up appointments for STI prophylaxis and pregnancy testing. Throughout the process, we will be there to answer questions and offer support, as desired.
Staff will assist a survivor of gender violence to report a crime to police, obtain a protective order or provide support if criminal or civil actions are pursued. Duke Police can also take a report from a student and/or explain their options.
- Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm: Call 919-684-3897, email WCHelp@duke.edu, or walk in no appointment necessary.
- After-hours, weekends, holidays: Call 919-970-2108 or email WCHelp@duke.edu
- If this is an emergency situation and you feel you are in danger, call 911 or Duke police at 919-684-2444.